This webinar is part of the LACC/CPC Caribbean Policy Series.
Climate change and global warming are challenges that place the future resources, development, and prosperity of the Caribbean region in jeopardy. Specific hazards such as rising sea levels, warming temperatures, deforestation, ecological degradation, and more frequent and extreme weather events, among others, place the Caribbean at higher risk, to the point of coastal communities and entire islands potentially disappearing if the dangers of global warming are not addressed collectively and urgently today.
Caribbean nations (islands and coastal territories) share similar infrastructure, economic and human mobility risks to climate change, while also facing other challenges such as low availability of resources, high debt rates, threats to and relocation of coastal populations, weak conservation and environmental protection policies and institutions, and dependence on imports, fossil fuels, tourism and global markets. All these highlight the need and urgency to adopt collective measures to combat, adapt to and prevent further damage by climate change at a faster pace.
Full paper by Dr. Legena Henry can be accessed here
Legena Henry, PhD Lecturer, Renewable Energy, University of the West Indies, Cave Hill, Barbados
Ligia Collado-Vides, PhD Professor and Associate Chair, Department of Biological Sciences, Florida International University
Andrea Lewis, MSc Senior Project Officer, Office of Institutional Planning and Infrastructural Services, University of the West Indies, Cave Hill, Barbados
Lorraine Sobers, PhD Lecturer, Department of Chemical Engineering, Petroleum Studies Unit, University of the West Indies, St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
- Transforming Guyana Season II, Episode IX, Guyanese Fiscal Policy in the Era of Oil & Gas
- Transforming Guyana Season II, Episode VIII, Guyana’s Journey to Becoming a Top Choice for Investors
- Transforming Guyana Season II, Episode VII, Developing and Enforcing a Regulatory Framework for a Safe and Sustainable Guyanese Oil and Gas Industry
- Latin America-Caribbean relations in a multipolar world
- Transforming Guyana, Season II, Episode VI, Workforce Development and the Emerging Guyanese Oil and Gas Economy